Choosing fresh foods can help you feel better and preserve the environment Buying organically grown food free of harmful chemicals, bursting with more nutrition, taste, and sustainable sustenance is a direct vote for immediate health and the hopeful future of generations to come.
Organic food must meet certain standards in order to be certified as organic:
- No growth hormones may be used.
- No chemical pesticides are to be used for three years prior to the present year’s growing season.
- No human waste or sewage sludge can be used as fertilizer.
- No genetic modification of any description will be tolerated.
There are seven chemicals in particular that are used on our crops that are known to be difficult or impossible for the body to expel. Not only are we eating these pesticide laden foods, but they are fed to the meat animals that we also use for food. When we eat these animals, we get another dose of these chemicals.
Here are the top 10 reasons to choose organic foods today:
1. Avoid chemicals: Eating organically grown foods is the only way to avoid the cocktail of chemical poisons present in commercially grown food. More than 600 active chemicals are registered for agricultural use in America, to the tune of billions of pounds annually.
2. Benefit from more nutrients: Organically grown foods have more nutrients vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and micronutrients than commercially grown foods because the soil is managed and nourished with sustainable practices by responsible standards.
3. Enjoy a better taste: Try it! Organically grown foods generally taste better because nourished, well-balanced soil produces healthy, strong plants. This is especially true with heirloom varieties, which are cultivated for taste over appearance.
4. Avoid GMO: Genetically engineered (GE) food and genetically modified organisms (GMO) are contaminating our food supply at an alarming rate, with repercussions beyond understanding. GMO foods do not have to be labeled in America.
5. Avoid hormones, antibiotics, and drugs in animal products: Conventional meat and dairy are the highest risk foods for contamination by harmful substances. More than 90% of the pesticides Americans consume are found in the fat and tissue of meat and dairy products.
Other Related Articles:
- Parsley: The Best Crop For Vertical Farming
- Soil life: How to increase the productivity of your growing?